Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Lari-Lari Club

I don't want to talk about that bandana headband. 
I run here.  I look ridiculous doing it.  As consolation for the bewildered stares of the villagers as I spandex my way past them, I’ve begun to envision a day when one local will emerge from her home and wordlessly begin yogging with me.  Over time, others would join.  Like Forrest Gump leading a pack of strangers in a joint purusit of endurance and wellbeing, I, too, would inspire an entire community to revolutionize the way they care for themselves.

This week my Gump dream was realized.  Or at least it would’ve been if everyone huffing along with Forrest had been 8 and under and demanded he hold their hand the whole time, sometimes needing to be carried.  Can’t say that 4 year-old-Sophie and her neighborhood friends are the best pacers I’ve ever had (man are those legs little!), but running with a bunch of actually-overjoyed children is really, really cute. 

Jaime snapped some shots of the Lari-Lari (running) club from Lian’s porch when we took a pit stop between laps around the hood. 

Serious meeting about whether or not everyone was up for another lap.
Only after I saw this picture did I realize that my shirt was stuffed into my
sports bra.  When will I learn to dress appropriately in public? 

And we're off!  Check out Sophie's little green velcro addidases blasting
off and try not to die over her cuteness. 




1 comment:

  1. Hanna Mark, leaving her footprint on Tentena's culture. Who cares about the bandana!

    ReplyDelete